Our family has been involved with Half Moon since its inception in 1954. My grandparents, Curtis and Esther Steuart, first visited Jamaica in the early 1950s and fell in love with the island, its people and culture.
With 16 other families, 35 acres of beach fronting a magnificent crescent bay, used for stevedoring, were purchased from the sugar cane estate, which stretched several miles between foothills and Jamaican coastline. They built cottages by the beach so their families and friends could not only escape the cold winters of North America but also enjoy the warmth and friendly hospitality of the people of Jamaica all year-round.
Half Moon has grown into what we can proudly say is a landmark of world-class hospitality, and an authentic Jamaican experience.
We are a chosen retreat over the past 60 years for royalty, presidents, world-wide known entertainers and more importantly, generations of loyal guests seeking to escape to their private oasis and relax while enjoying the climate, culture and hospitality of this wonderful country, Jamaica.
We are an independently-managed resort and three of the original investing families remain involved – the Weiss, Pearce and Steuart families. We remain true to the guiding principles: to respect and contribute to the welfare of the community while offering discerning travelers the opportunity for remarkable vacation memories.
More than 800 team members make up our Half Moon family, some of whom have been with us for over 50 years. It is they who will make your stay here one to cherish and the reason for wanting to return year after year.
Guy Steuart III, Chairman of Half Moon
- 1954: Half Moon Hotel & Cottage Colony opens
- 1961: Robert Trent Jones Sr. designs golf course
- 1970: Club House Grill (now, Sugar Mill Restaurant) opens
- 1979: Half Moon purchases The Colony Hotel
- 1989: Royal Suites replace East Cottages destroyed by Hurricane Gilbert
- 1993: Equestrian Centre opens
- 2007: Fern Tree Spa opens
- 2014: Half Moon celebrates Diamond Jubilee
Learn More: Half Moon History